And, in honor of my favorite award show day, I am also going to bestow Coke with Brandemix's very own SoMe Superstar award.
1. In addition to tracking consumer impressions, they are increasingly tracking Consumer Expressions. Defined by Joe Tripodi, Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing and Commercial Officer of the Coca-Cola Company, it means "any level of engagement with our brand content by a consumer or constituent. It could be a comment, a 'like,' uploading a photo or video or passing content onto their networks." While consumer impressions have long been the metric of choice for measuring SoMe ROI, they are passive, unlike consumer expressions which track active involvement with a brand.
2. They have a webpage with their Online Social Media Principles which include The Five Core Values of the Company in the Online Social Media Community: Transparency, Protection, Respect, Responsibility and Utilization.
3. Their Super Bowl 2012 ad was so successful at driving traffic that it actually crashed their Facebook server.
4. They have embraced the communication strategy of keeping "Liquid and Linked," defined as curating work that is so emotionally compelling, authentic and culturally relevant that it can flow through any medium.
It must be working. Coke estimates that of the 146 million views of content related to Coca-Cola on YouTube, only 26 million views were of content that they themselves created. Nice to have 120 million brand ambassadors on your team! Which brings us to:
5. They have relinquished control. When Coke's Facebook Page was targeted by an activist group whose members posted negative messages, it was the Facebook fans who rallied and responded with messages of support for the company.
As Coke gets ready to celebrate their 125 anniversary, they are a shining example of getting old both gracefully and greatly.
Congratulations to Coke on being Brandemix's SoMe Superstar! Might we humbly offer one bit of advice? It might be time to freshen up your careers site to keep it as great as your brand. We know someone who can help.